Sunday 21 September 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 264

‘What’s happened?’ Elle says, then she notices too.
‘This place certainly has changed,’ Sandra says taking everything in, ‘I’ve been there forty years, I’m not surprised really.’
There’s a quiet inquisitive wonder in her voice. I wonder has she swallowed her anger for a moment.
I see a newsstand beyond the edge of the scorchmark, there’s just a smoking line where the fire was. A small crowd has gathered around the the newspapers and magazines, but there aren’t paper magazines. The newsstand is a stall with locked cabinets and TV screens instead. I see someone purchasing what looks like a memory stick and he slides it into a tablet device.
The TV screens show the newspapers I know. The Reader and The Daily Review. I close in on one and read the date in the top right corner of one of the screens.
‘A little bit longer than forty years,’ I say.
The date reads 2074. 

No comments:

Post a Comment