Sunday 21 September 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 263

‘They worked together and now Teague wants revenge for what she did to him. He didn’t know where she was sending him either.’
Yates taps me on the shoulder. I turn around quickly, I’m surprised he interrupted at all, Yates is always one to be polite and stand and listen. But the look on his face is one of confusion, and I know whatever he has to say can’t wait.
‘Easton, something’s changed,’ he says. ‘A lot’s changed.’
I look where he is and take a moment to register it. We’re in London, I’m sure of it. We’re near the river. I can see it twinkling in the sunshine. There are roadblocks now, with traffic behind them and I’m reminded vividly of the day I died.
The cars aren’t normal. There’s no rumble from the idling engines. Everything’s silent and all we can here is the shouts and horns of the drivers behind them who don’t yet understand what’s taken place.
‘What are they? Hybrid cars?’ I ask. ‘There were never that many before.’

Before we left for the desert hybrids were popular, but by no means the most popular choice of vehicle. I look around again. I look closer at the river and I’m not greeted by the murky grey brown of the Thames water I know well. It’s clear and blue like a tropical sea.

No comments:

Post a Comment