Sunday 21 September 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 262

Sandra nods. ‘I don’t think we can get back,’ she looks on the verge of tears. ‘Our whole way of life, dead. Cut off from us.’
‘Sandra, I’m so sorry,’ I say.
‘What are you sorry for?’
I want to say it was my fault. Teague pulled the trigger but I put the bullet in the chamber.
‘Just…we brought him there,’ I reply. ‘Or he came with us.’
‘How did you get to the town? And the desert in the first place? It wasn’t by the usual means was it? You were never looking for the beyond.’
She’s clever, cleverer than anyone I met there. Rather than cruise along with the way of life, she understood this side too, and the people who wanted to return to it. It must have been written all over us that we had no intention of going anywhere near the Great Beyond.
‘We were sent there.’ I have no problem telling Sandra the truth. She deserves it. ‘There’s a woman hiding in a house in this world. She wants to control everything, life and death and the ability to travel between.’

‘So she’s like Teague.’ I don’t know how much Sandra believes about the way we travel. We found out so much before all this business started again. We’re photons we can control ourselves. We can exit the world in one place and reform ourselves as though the material of reality is a curtain. It’s not a matter of magic, or voodoo or the macabre. We’re not ghosts of gothic tales or fairy stories. Ghosts are a matter of science.

No comments:

Post a Comment