Sunday 21 September 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 261

‘Only find them a place to go,’ Elle answers. ‘God I’m so angry with him, how can he do this to all these people? They were leading their lives so happily there and now they have to find a place to go all over again.’
The knot of guilt in my stomach twists to uncomfortable level. I’m compelled to come clean. I persuaded him to return to his old ways. My cowardice holds my tongue.
Some people are starting to look towards us. No one from the other side, not Tarquin, no Upson, Yates’s new friends he made in the square. That’s when I see Sandra making her way towards us. She places her hands on people’s shoulders, reassuring them, putting on the face that settled me when I was looking for Teague in the first place.
‘Where is he?’ she demands quietly. ‘Have you seen him?’
I shake my head. ‘Did a disappearing act as soon as we got back.’
She places her hands on her hips and bows her head. She bites her lip. I know she’s holding something back.
‘Be honest with me, all of you,’ she says, still not looking us in the eyes. ‘Did any of you have a hand in this. I know you all wanted to leave.’

‘Sandra, no I promise!’ Elle says, stepping forward. ‘This was all Teague, we were watching him from the start, we knew he was going to try something, there was just no way of moving in time to stop him.’

No comments:

Post a Comment