Saturday 13 September 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 255

And I know what he means. I can do nothing to stop him. He’s going to use the children to take them home. I look at Elle and Yates, even Upson knows what’s going on.
            ‘So without any further ado, let’s begin.’ Teague begins to clap. This starts a ripple and then an outbreak of thunderous applause.
            He steps to the side and the children begin. And it is a song of home. It’s a song of a life left behind. I’m guessing by a teenager who dreamed of the best grades in his upcoming exams. He wanted to make his dad proud of him. It’s a simple song, but the children sing in layers like a choir. On the last chorus, the town join in. I don’t think they can resist. Music keeps this place flowing. It saves lives.
            And that’s when I feel the change. The electricity in the air.
            ‘He’s doing it!’ I call over the song of the town. How can it be that simple? How can one little song written by someone so young mean so much. Teague’s taken something wonderful and turned it sour.

            And it’s all my fault.

No comments:

Post a Comment