Saturday 13 September 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 254

I relay my story for the second time in a few minutes. Before Elle can even reply there’s a cheer from over on our left. The children have arrived.
            They file in in a long line like a school play. There are toddlers to early teens and they all look happy and nervous all at once. I don’t think I can watch and put my face in my hands.
            Elle places a hand on my shoulder. I meet her eyes and find a look that seems to say everything’s okay.
            I can’t believe it. As they take their places, the chatter in the crowd rises to a crescendo. Teague stands at the front smiling and waving to his new subjects.
            ‘Good afternoon everyone,’ he calls. Everyone grows quiet. For them it’s quiet excitement, for us I can feel the tension as close as the heat around me. ‘Although it’s hard to know here isn’t it.’ He laughs, so do they.
            ‘He should take up politics,’ Elle observes.
            ‘These children have prepared some songs for us today,’ he continues. ‘Songs of love, songs of life,’ he turns to us. He locks eyes with me. ‘Songs of home.’

No comments:

Post a Comment