Saturday 13 September 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 253

‘I couldn’t find him,’ he says as he reaches me. ‘I think Elle and Upson are with Tarquin.’
            He sees the look on my face and reads the worry. ‘What’s wrong, Easton?’
            ‘I did find him,’ I blurt out. ‘Yates, I think I’ve made a huge mistake.’
            I quickly run through my meeting with Teague. Yates’s face darkens with every passing word.
            ‘So you think he really had changed?’
            ‘Not anymore,’ I reply.
            ‘We have to find Tarquin,’ Yates says.
            I nod and follow him through the crowd. He’s a lot better at parting it than me. I don’t know how he does it. He finds gaps that I didn’t realise were there. Maybe that was my problem all along. I went after Teague single-handedly when really I should have gone to get help.
            Right now I feel more lost than ever. Sandra’s words echo in my head. I should have given this place more of a chance. What was ever wrong with a bit of peace? Now my negativity might have ruined it for everyone. I’ve unleashed the monster in Teague.
            Elle stands with Upson and Tarquin near the front of the crowd. After a few more nudges and several more tuts, we stand beside them. It doesn’t take long for Elle to read our expressions.

            ‘Oh for christ’s sake,’ she says. ‘What have you done now?’

No comments:

Post a Comment