Saturday 13 September 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 251

He barges past me and then looks back. ‘I think you’re right in a lot of ways. Sometimes a leopard can’t change his spots.’
            Teague smiles and it’s not a smile I can read. His small eyes squint like he’s been planning his words for weeks. But his lips curl in a way that looks almost regretful.
            ‘Wait, Teague,’ I call as he rushes down the street. ‘What do you mean?’
            I panic for a second. I stay still and find my feet won’t move. Does that mean that he really did care about the children after all?
            ‘Teague!’ I shout.
            My feet find their mobility again. I run on the sand and realise how difficult it is to run on sand. The street is packed by people on a daily basis, but still my feet sink and slide and I almost fall over twice before I find another person. The streets are scarcely populated now. Everyone must be awaiting Teague in the square. I need to find Elle, Yates or Upson. Hopefully they’re in the square now. I don’t want to tell them what I think I’ve just done. From what it looked like, I just convinced Teague to return to his old ways when he was in favour of changing.
            I pump my arms faster and feel the sweat gather on my brow. It runs down my forehead, around my eyes to the corner of my lips.
            I curl my fists in frustration. I’m dead, I do not sweat.

            I blink and the sweat is gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment