Saturday 13 September 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 250

‘What’s happened to you, Easton? Where’s your fight?’
            ‘You want me to argue with you.’ I can’t believe what I’m hearing. I hate arguing with someone like Teague. He’s a person who will stray from the crux of the argument just to win on a tiny point.
            He steps closer. I don’t like Teague like this, he’s too normal. I’m torn between going home without him and cutting him from my life, but then what will he do when I leave him? He’s like a nightmare pet I can’t bear inflicting on anyone else when all I want is a holiday.
            ‘Of course I want you too,’ he says. ‘I was once like you. Being a man of science means arguing against the status quo. We find the questions and answer them, even when people don’t want to hear it.’
            ‘So you’re a scientist now?’ I retort. ‘What happened to the writer and musical prodigy?’
            ‘I care,’ he says. ‘Like Thacker never cared about me.’
            ‘But you want to stay here,’ I say. ‘In the land of no science. And the people who are at peace and have no questions for you to answer.’

            ‘They could learn in time,’ he replies. His voice has gone quiet. ‘I’m sorry.’ He looks up. ‘I have to get back to the children.’

No comments:

Post a Comment